Map and course notes available here: http://roc.us.orienteering.org/
On Sunday, February 19th the Rochester Orienteering Club and the Cumming Nature Center will co-sponsor a “try orienteering “ event at the Cumming Nature Center near Naples, New York. (It does not count towards the NYSSRA ski-o points series.) Participants will receive a map with circles representing control points drawn on the the map. They (read more)
From Phil Hawkes-Teeter, course setter, about skating at Pineridge: I can only tell you what I experienced on Saturday, and point to what is on the Pineridge “Conditions” page. Yes, the solid green lines are supposed to be skateable, and those trails are wide enough to be skated; but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will (read more)
From Phil Hawkes-Teeter, course setter: I finished setting the courses at Pineridge yesterday (Saturday), skiing on great snow. Today (Sunday) we are living in a blizzard. The week ahead appears to hold temperatures at or below freezing, with some possible snow showers. In other words, the skiing is/will-almost-certainly-be: fantastic. This is the best skiing we (read more)
Ski quick before the snow melts! From Doug Hall, course setter: Yes. Plan B for the Ski-O is … a Ski-O! Webster is receiving significant lake effect snow. I haven’t been over to the park yet today, but based on accumulation in the neighborhood, it looks very promising for skiing everywhere in the park. It (read more)
From the meet director: Because of the rain yesterday and more forecasted for the weekend the ski o is cancelled for 2017.
See the ROC web page (http://roc.us.orienteering.org/) for course notes and conditions updates.
From Phil Hawkes-Teeter, course setter: I went to Pineridge Thursday, and the skiing was actually pretty decent. But, I am postponing the event anyway. It has been raining off-and-on, and also been quite warm, and I could already see signs of the existing snow deteriorating (open water, rocks, the corduroy crossing the marsh was almost (read more)
From Phil Hawkes-Teeter, course setter: I am going to try to hold it, but as of yet I am not sure how well the snow will hold up. Pineridge was open today, and I plan to visit tomorrow (Thursday), and start setting the courses if that seems viable. I hope to be able to make (read more)
From Phil Hawkes-Teeter: It is not looking good for our planned Ski & Snowshoe-O on January 28, at Pineridge XC. Yes, there is still a week plus to go, but the weather forecast is not propitious. If I end up re-scheduling the event, the only remaining date with no conflicts with other NY Ski-O events (read more)